Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tougher Day, Wonderful Students

Even before I started back I knew that the first two days were going to be the toughest. The students had started a biography project last week and it was continuing into the beginning of this week. I decided that the projects needed to have a cut-off date and today was the day.

I found myself moving around a lot more throughout the day, when I really should have been staying put and letting the students come to me. I already broke one of my goals. The students were really well behaved, got their work done, and kept busy. I have been so proud of them since I've been back.

One of my students came up to me at the end of class and said, "Mrs. ____, are you feeling okay? You were walking around a lot today."

"I know, I really shouldn't have been. My headache is pounding right now. You need to remind me to sit down, if you see me walking around too much. Please, I do need your help!"

"Well I didn't feel comfortable commanding you to SIT DOWN, but I did notice that you were moving and walking more today" (Too cute!)

"Yes, well you have my permission to tell me tomorrow. I do need the reminders."

"Okay, I will!"

Love it.

This morning was rough, with some uncomfortable stomach stuff and then a strong headache to start off the day, but I made it. My head is pounding right now and I'm exhausted, but the project is over and I'm hoping for a calmer day tomorrow. You have to have endurance to make it through the school day and right now my body's just trying to keep up with what's inside. Fortunately the kids are responding well to me being back in the room and my school, even though in SOL testing, has worked and pulled in order to make sure I have back-up in the room.

And the best thing about tomorrow is that we are starting a new novel! I love reading novels with my students. We get into such a great rhythm of word studies, projects in their Reader's Journals, discussions, and reading, that the days fly by. I think that sitting and reading a novel will definitely cut-down on my movement around the classroom. That's what I'm hoping, at least!

I was prepared to be exhausted and tired at the end of each day. I am basically having my first days of school all over again, except this time the students know my expectations and routines. It's nice to have a first day of school, when a look is all you need to get a student back on track. My students never cease to amaze me and I hope they keep up this GREAT work!

No comments:

Post a Comment