Thursday, March 22, 2012

I'll Fly Away

Miles away today, people gathered to celebrate the life of an amazing man.

I didn't know him well, but my sister did. Phoebe's someone who can come into your life and magnificently change it for the better. This man was one of the few who could return this gift to her. For her birthday one year he surprised her with a cake. And he loved to tell jokes, just as much as Phoebe loves to laugh. His jokes now live on in many, especially Phoebe. They had a mutual love for each other.

At the service, Dad and a few students performed "I'll Fly Away." These lyrics paired with the melody and harmony say what empty, futile sentiments cannot during this time....

Some bright morning, when this life is over I'll fly away
To a land on God's celestial shore, I'll fly away...

I'll fly away, oh glory, I'll fly away.
When I die hallelujah by and by, I'll fly away.


When the shadows of this life have gone, I'll fly away
Like a bird from these prison walls I'll fly, I'll fly away


I'll fly away, oh glory, I'll fly away.
When I die hallelujah by and by, I'll fly away.


Just a few more weary days and then, I'll fly away
To a land where joys will never end, I'll fly away



I'll fly away, oh glory, I'll fly away.
When I die hallelujah by and by, I'll fly away.


2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. I'll keep Phoebe in my thoughts. How's the healing process going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a beautiful service in a lovely old Episcopal church, and because Warren Jenkins was once a "risen from the ranks" chief of police, the place was lined with deputies and officers. The entire fire department was also deployed with all the trucks for the burial afterward. I was happy to just have a spot up in the front of the church to play my accompaniment for two great high school students singing "I'll Fly Away." Because he was such a jokester, and a legendary poker player, there were many amusing stories, so it was a celebration like it should be.

    ReplyDelete