Friday, January 7, 2011

Inspiration for a Name


If you've been thinking you're all that you've got,
Then don't feel alone anymore.
'Cause when we're together then you've got a lot,
For I am the river and you are the shore.

And it goes on and on,
Watching the river run.
Further and further from things that we've done,
Leaving them one by one.

And we have just begun
Watching the river run.
Listening and learning and yearning
Run river run.

Winding and swirling and dancing along,
We pass by the old willow tree.
As friend embrace as we sing them our song,
Rejoicing together as we greet the sea.

And it goes on and on,
Watching the river run.
Further and further from things that we've done,
Leaving them one by one.

And we have just begun
Watching the river run.
Listening and learning and yearning
Run river run.

Loggins and Messina

Those who know me well know that this song is symbolic for many different reasons. It was introduced to me, as I prepared a scrapbook page for one of my closest cousins and since then it has been used, reused, and recycled.
- My family sang it to my cousin, Marianne, and her husband, Christoph, during the talent show in their wedding reception.
- I sang it to Jim one day when we were kayaking to the waterfall (where he had previously proposed)
- Our wedding guests sang the refrain to us as we departed by paddling down the Clarion River!
- It was the opening song in a chapel that I led at Episcopal School of Acadiana (ESA) with a slideshow of river pictures for them to view while listening

Though it may seem overused, it has come to be a staple. It's melody sooths and the lyrics remind me of hope and new beginnings. Many metaphors can be used to identify the river and the shore. Take your pick :)

No comments:

Post a Comment