Sunday, October 30, 2016

Sick & Maple Leaves

This weekend I came down with one of those sicknesses that's just debilitating. Swallowing anything is pure torture; my throat is so painful. Nights have been riddled with feverish chills and overheating and then shivers again. And, Owen had the very same thing. He's woken up every hour for the last few nights.
Throughout my time as a mother, I have only been sick a handful of times. After this weekend, I am again reminded how hard it is to be a mama and to be sick. It's much easier to run around like a busy bee, snuggling on the couch, wiping snotty noses, and get the boys what's needed for them to feel better. It's a totally different thing when they still need you and you have very little to give.

It just so happened to be the most gorgeous October weekend, with the peak changing of the leaves, here in Southwest Virginia, and I missed a dear friend's baby shower (that I planned), and a few fall festivals. What can you do?

Fortunately, the beautiful maple tree in our backyard showed it's beautiful colors and reminded me of the blessings right here, right now. Lying on the swing each of the sick days, staring up at those gorgeously yellow and orange leaves, made even the worst hurt subside for a few minutes.





No comments:

Post a Comment