Monday, October 5, 2015

Day Trip

As mentioned in a previous post, it's been raining. A lot. A whole lot.


Saturday night, after Jim had completed a 24 call shift, he suggested that we go to IKEA on Sunday. I was floored and shocked, but also excited.

You see, IKEA is 2.5-3 hours away from our house. We have to drive all of the way to Charlotte, North Carolina to get to one. For us, it is a whole-day event and this would be Jim's only full day off for the week. Therefore, I was a bit surprised that it was how he wanted to spend his day.

BUTTTT... I did mention that it's been raining, right? IKEA is a pretty sunny place to spend a dreary, rainy day.

So, we had a relaxing breakfast with Christine (our weekend visitor... thanks so much for coming!) and then we hit the road. Jim and I never hardly ever large chunks of time to just talk, especially without a bunch of distractions or tasks to get done. Sitting together for about 5.5 hours total in the car over the course of the day was wonderful. And this was precisely why Jim wanted to go... quality time together out of the rain and our normal routines.

I especially loved it when he asked, "So, what's new with you?" It might sound ridiculous, but with the hours he pulls this month, it was the most loving and incredible thing to hear. I fumbled through my answer, but boy did I feel loved. I also got to learn so much about him, his experiences, interactions, and how he's doing. It was great and it was needed.

Anyway, I didn't want this little day trip to pass by unrecorded. It was lovely. We spent more than we should have, but got some much-needed, non-frivolous things. And we had a great time together and uninterrupted.

Thanks, Hon! It meant/means a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment