Friday, January 20, 2017

Live in the Along

I can't sit down. My mind spins, my legs jerk.

Here we go. It's the first day of a new political season.

I breathe in hope and exhale worry and fear.

My legs itch to walk with the many tomorrow.

A few go in my place.

My job is here today and tomorrow, but my heart is there and my sons will learn the importance of loving the outsider, listening and learning about people who are unlike them, and striving to take the high road in times when it seems easier to go low.

My sister shared this poem and it speaks to my heart today:

SPEECH TO THE YOUNG SPEECH TO THE PROGRESS-TOWARD (AMONG THEM NORA AND HENRY III)


Say to them,
say to the down-keepers,
the sun-slappers,
the self-soilers,
the harmony-hushers,
"Even if you are not ready for day
it cannot always be night."
You will be right.
For that is the hard home-run.
Live not for battles won.
Live not for the-end-of-the-song.
Live in the along.

No comments:

Post a Comment