Saturday, November 7, 2015

Our Singing Bird

"But there's none of them can sing so sweet, my singing bird as you."
- Old Irish Song

These are lyrics from one of the songs that my dad's children's group, SCORE, would sing. The words ring so true for our little singing bird.

There is no sound sweeter than listening to him sing. Seriously.

He sings the following songs, "Baa Baa, Black Sheep," "Old MacDonald" (mainly just suggesting animals and their sounds), "The ABCs," "Twinkle, Twinkle," "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed," "Four Green and Speckled Frogs," "Five Little Monkeys Swinging in the Tree," and fumbles along to  "The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night," "I'll Fly Away," "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot," and "Down in the Valley."

He always seems to choose "I'll Fly Away" as one of his comforting nap time or night time songs. It's one of my favorite songs and holds a lot of meaning to me, so it's been really wonderful to enjoy with him.

He has enjoyed singing to our baby in my belly, too. It's sweet to watch him lift up my shirt to sing to him/her. What a good big brother!

Singing calms him down, gives him joy, and brings him great comfort. I hope this love and passion for music continues throughout his lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment