Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Mother's Day

I am so grateful for the many beautiful mothers I've grown to know in my lifetime.

My own mama, especially. Her extraordinary love and intelligence, not to mention devotion to her children and grandchildren, leave me astounded and amazed so often. Now that I am a mother myself I often wonder how she managed to do everything she did. I'm convinced that she has super powers. It's the only possible explanation.

My compassionate mother-in-law, who has welcomed me so seamlessly into her family. I don't know how she does it, but she makes me feel just like one of her fold.
And this woman who is now in heaven, whom we'll celebrate this coming weekend. All of her children and grandchildren, but one out of the country, will be making the trip. I cannot wait to see everyone and share stories.
I continue to be blessed by the village of women who I get to walk this journey with daily (some, but certainly not all, of these women are in the photo below). So many wonderful mothers and women surround me here in this small town and so many support and encourage me from afar.
But, it's these little cherubs who have made me a mama. Who push me to my limit and then push me a little farther. Who have taught me the depth of a mother's love. A love that never ceases to stretch me just a bit more and offer joy and rewards far greater than I could have ever imagined. 

One of my friends posted this yesterday, as part of a much longer post, and I thought it was so, SO eloquent and true. Jessica said, "When you are a mother or long to be one or find yourself nurturing another life in any capacity, you have opened your heart to great joy and great pain. That is truly courageous."

This love is a courageous journey that takes heart, strength, tears, and laughter. It's an adventure far superior to any I could have ever dreamed. Being a mother makes me desperate for a break or sleep, at times, but it's often overshadowed by a desperate desire to witness everything and wipe away tears and see their smiles, too.

As another friend said, these days are numbered. My arms and my chest will only comfort them sufficiently for so long. My voice will only sing them to sleep for so long. I don't want to miss a thing.

They are too precious to me. And it won't be like this for long. 

The love that they show for one another melts us daily. Owen's biggest smiles are reserved for Ian and Ian's most gentle touches are reserved for Owen. My mama's heart could burst.
 I just love my little boy cuddles. With my first born...
 And my second born...
 And our whole family...
Being a mama is the hardest, most rewarding thing I've ever done. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Thanks for making me a mama, Boys! I'll love you forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment